Brief history and introduction
Battersea Power Station was designed in 1930 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott and J. Theo Halliday. The first two chimneys (Battersea A) were completed in 1939. By 1955 the third and fourth chimneys (Battersea B) were completed making the Power Station the largest brick building in Europe.
In recognition of its Art Deco splendour, the Power Station was given grade II listed status in October 1980.
On the 31st October 1983 the Power Station was closed and the Central Electricity Generating Board launched a competition to find a future use for the building.
The winner of the CEGB's competition to find a future use for the Power Station was the Roche Consortium, quickly taken over by John Broome who announced plans for a Disneyland style theme park costing £34 million.
However, costs quickly escalated and work stopped in March 1989 leaving the Power Station in its present semi-derelict and exposed state. Since then, the Power Station has languished without a roof, it's steel work exposed to the elements and it's foundations prone to flooding.
In 1993 outstanding debts of £70 million were bought from the Bank of America by a Hong Kong based development company for approximately £10 million.
Battersea Power Station Community Group was formed in November 1983 to provide a forum for the local community to air its views during the competition to find a future use for the Power Station and it's site.
Among other initiatives, the BPSCG produced The People's Plan for Battersea Power Station in 1986 and organised the Battersea Power Station Forum in 1995. In 2002 we have established the Battersea Power Station Company Ltd, a not for profit company.
The current developement proposals approved by Wandsworth Council have recently been the subject of major in-depth investigations by The Guardian newspaper in London and the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong.